Living with diabetes can be tough. At Holroyd Private Hospital, we’re here to empower you with the knowledge, confidence and support you need to take control of your diabetes and lead a healthy life.
Who is this program for?
Our unique program is designed especially for individuals who are newly diagnosed with diabetes (type 1 and 2) and those struggling to manage glucose levels.
What does the program entail?
The program consists of 3 x 2 hour sessions per week, for up to 10 weeks (this depends on what your insurance covers). During this time, you will:
- Learn to manage your glucose levels effectively
- Gain insights into nutrition and healthy eating
- Discover tailored exercise routines for your needs
- Connect with a supportive community of fellow participants
- Build the foundation for a healthier, happier future
- A Personalised Plan: We understand that every individual’s journey with diabetes is unique. Our program begins with a one-on-one consultation from our rehab consultant, who then works with our allied health team to create a plan based on your individual needs, challenges and goals. Our rehab consultant will then check in on you once/week to assess and measure your progress.
- Exercise and Education: Our program combines exercise therapy in our large open plan gym and nutrition/heart health education sessions to give you the skills to manage your diabetes effectively beyond the program.
- Expert, Multidisciplinary Team: Our program is led by rehab consultants, cardiac nurses and allied health professionals including physiotherapists, exercise physiologists, occupational therapists and dietitians.
- A Holistic Approach: We employ a holistic approach to your well-being, providing guidance around nutrition, medication and exercise. We are dedicated to helping you build a healthier lifestyle for the long term.
How is this program different to seeing a physio?
While exercise and movement are an important part of our program, we know that there are other factors that impact our ability to manage diabetes, like medication and nutrition. This benefit of our rehab program is that participants have access to coordinated, multidisciplinary care from a range of clinicians including rehab physicians, registered nurses, physiotherapists, exercise physiologists, occupational therapists and dietitians. Our team works together and employs a holistic, multifaceted approach to your care.
What is the cost?
If you have private health insurance with hospital cover, you will receive 20-30 sessions with no out of pocket cost (the number of sessions depends on health funds). You may be required to pay your excess to your health fund. If you don’t have insurance, please contact us and we can tailor a plan to suit your needs.
What happens on discharge from the program?
All patients receive a comprehensive documented discharge plan that takes into account your needs, ongoing treatment requirements and connection with community services where required. A discharge summary will also be sent to your referring GP/specialist.
How do I book in?
Please ask your GP or specialist for a referral to our program. Once we receive your referral, we will contact you to confirm any out-of-pocket costs and a suitable start date.