Fasting Before Surgery
It is important that you do not eat or drink, as instructed by your doctor. This is usually 6 to 8 hours before any surgical operation.
If you feel hesitant about fasting before surgery, please contact the hospital for advice.
This requirement is very important as any food or drink remaining in your stomach prior to an operation can cause serious danger for you, if there is vomiting under anesthesia. Parents, please be very careful with young children.
On the Day of surgery
- Wear comfortable unrestrictive clothing
- Remove all nail polish and make up
- Shower or bath the morning of your operation
- Remove all jewellery except your wedding ring
What to Bring
- Sleepwear; dressing gown and slippers
- Personal toilet articles
- Favourite toy or cuddly for children
- Your Hospital/Medical Benefits Fund card
- Any pharmacy entitlement cards for prescriptions
- Recent test results (within the last six months)
- Medicare card
- All medications that you are currently taking (in their original packaging)
- A small amount of cash for incidentals only
Please do not bring valuables or jewellery.